Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Control Hunger by Controlling Blood Sugar

Our adventure begins with following the diabetic food management plan. The recommendations in this blog are not intended for diabetics who manage their blood sugar with insulin.  Some of the principles may apply, but diabetics who take insulin should prior to the implementation of this plan discuss it with their doctor or dietitian.  I’m not a diabetic, but the diabetic food regiment can also work for weight loss for non-diabetics.  

I am a registered nurse with a Master’s of Science in Community Health Nursing, which has a focus on health promotion and disease prevention.  I taught the diabetic diet years ago as a young nurse to diabetic patients.  In my twenties, I lost twenty pounds following the diabetic food regiment.     
  1. I am a registered nurse.
  2. I enjoy and care about  people. 
  3. I love to teach.
  4. Sharing my journey with you creates a community of support not only for you, but for me, even as I reach out to help others.  
Somehow along the path of life of having kids who adored pasta, rice, sweets, desserts and the time pressures of family life, I took a wrong turn and lost my way.  It is easy to do, isn’t it?  You will not receive judgement in this blog. I know the struggle all too well, but I also know the denial and rationalization tricks as well, which prevent us from wholeheartedly trying new eating patterns. Until we are whammed by a reality situation that makes us face our “why” I need to change my lifestyle behavior.  So drawing on a past success with weight loss, I decided to try once again the diabetic diet regime.  It worked!  Why?
This diet controls blood glucose levels and prevents insulin surges, which carries glucose into cells and ultimately influences fat cell storage.  In simple terms, insulin drops our blood glucose levels and thus is responsible for the hunger experienced when blood sugar is low. This link provides an excellent overview that is helpful for all people who want to control their blood sugar level www.diabetes.org
You can also use the interactive Create A Plate website to help you get started!
The basic premise is to always eat fat and/or protein whenever carbohydrates are eaten. The amount of carbohydrate consumed at each meal will depend on your gender, age and activity level.  The recommended amount is between 30 and 60 grams per meal.  I, as a woman, post-menopausal, 60 years of age, with an initial low physical activity level, started with 30 grams of carbohydrate per meal.  I also wanted to jump-start weight loss and other than obesity I had no other medical conditions.   
In addition, it will boost your determination when you experience in a matter of weeks quick results.  Also, since carbohydrates, and especially simple carbohydrates, are metabolized more quickly than either fat or protein, they are the primary culprits of vacillating blood glucose levels.  Thus, as a general rule protein and or fat should be eaten with any carbohydrate, unless it is a white (excluding potatoes) or green vegetable.  Yes, this guideline includes fruit carbohydrate, even if it is only a mere six to 12 nuts or 1 oz. of cheese.  This is because protein and fat will balance the consumed carbohydrate, and thus lessen a blood sugar surge, which in turn triggers the body to release insulin, thereby dropping blood sugar, and ultimately causes the sensation of hunger.  Eating a balance of carbohydrate, fat and protein is critical in assisting with the goal to lower insulin blood levels.
In the next post, I will suggest some vegetables to use for replacing starchy white carbohydrates (such as rice, potatoes, pasta, crackers and bread) that were in my diet and likely yours as well.   In the meantime start a food journal of your current eating habits, or if it is easier take a picture of all of your eating plates, bowls, cups and glasses.  Begin to dream of all the vegetables you now get to experience!         

2 comments:

  1. Hi Terry, so glad you are sharing your experience with others. I'm giving this a try. Thanks Kellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are joining me. If you have tips that have worked for you please feel free to share them.

    ReplyDelete